A new version has been released today. The biggest change is the removal of software renderer ( as it was announced before). Other than that it’s mostly bug fixes and some improvements here and there.
10 years of Vavoom
Today Vavoom turns 10 years old and to celebrate this a new version has been released. This version introduces advanced level renderer which is able to do Doom 3 style shadows. Currently it’s available only with OpenGL renderer, Direct3D version will come later.
I’ve also decided that it’s time to retire the software renderer, so this is going to be the last release that has it.
For some time there haven’t been much work done, but that hopefully will change. Since it’s been more than a year since last release, I decided to release a new version now. There ain’t really big changes, mostly bug fixes and improvements. Enjoy.
Version 1.30 has been released. In this version:
- Improved speed of DECORATE parser.
- Some gameplay speed optimisations.
- Some improvements to networking.
- Fixed demo recording in single player.
- Added suppport for maps with more than 32k sidedefs.
- Added support for maps that don’t have node lumps present at all.
- Added support for most of the new ACS commands, additions of new features to the existing ones.
- Added support for “return” ACS script type.
- Added “allowprotction” flag to terrain types.
- Morph system enhancements.
- Added support for text format texture definition scripts.
- Many bug fixes and improvements.
Version 1.29 has been released. In this version:
- Added support for Vavoom master server.
- Improvements to model skin support.
- Fixed monster infighting.
- Fixed net game getting stuck when a packet sent from client is lost.
- Added support for intermission background scripts.
- Added support for mouse controllable menu controls.
- Added support for all finale types in all games.
- Added support for DeHackEd exlosion style for rockets.
- Added support for different blood colours.
- Added support for voodoo dolls.
- Most of the actor classes moved to DECORATE.
- Added support for model frame interpolation.
- Added support for compiling progs in the engine, progs now are in source form in PK3 file.
Version 1.28 has been released. New in this release:
- Implemented support for many line specials and extended flags.
- Added support for multiple different skies in a level.
- Added support for advanced skyboxes and sector stacks.
- Added support for mirrors and reflective floors and ceilings.
- Added support for additive translucency for 3D floors.
- Added secret trigger and hate target classes.
- Implemented many of the missing MAPINFO properties.
- Added separate texture offsets for top, middle and bottom wall textures.
- Implement support for custom skill definitions.
- Implemented support for UDMF format maps.
Version 1.27.1 has been released. It’s a bug fixing release that fixes big number of bugs.
Version 1.27 has been released. The biggest change in this version is fully working DECORATE support. Other changes include switch to CMake build system, support for sector action triggers, invisible bridges, fade effects and more. And of course usual assortment of bug fixes.
Version 1.26 has been released. Here’s list of changes in this version:
- Rewrote most of the menu system, added very basic support for mouse.
- Implemented support for FON1 and FON2 format fonts, coloured text, FONTDEFS and TEXTCOLO scripts.
- Use glBSP to build nodes internally (if needed). Building of GWA files is now optional.
- Implemented support for ACS HUD messages.
- Added support for additive translucency.
- Added stealth Doom monsters.
- Implemented support for camera textures.
- Implemented support for ambient sounds defined in SNDINFO using $ambient command.
- Added support for swimable Boom water.
- Implemented support for padding, scaling, rotating and aligning sector floors and ceilings.
- Implemented particle fountains and sparks.
- Implemented support for monster patrol points.
- Added support for TITLEMAP.
- Initial DECORATE support. Old style decorations, projectiles and pickups work fine, support for actor definitions is very limited, many simple objects will work but anything more complex won’t.
- Implemented support for custom player colours.
- Implemented support for many (around 25) line specials.
- Implemented most of the missing ACS commands.
- Implemented scripted marines.
- Fixed many bugs, other small things.
Version 1.25 has been released. It has a new inventory system, several new features and changes to the VavoomC language and progs structure, rewritten graphical launcher which is now also available on Linux and other platforms, and of course other improvements and bug fixes.