When player dies in Hexen, the game doesn't respawn him with 100 health and 50 pistol ammo like in doom. Instead, the game is restored from a "save point" at the begining of the level. Items, health, weapons and mana are kept. All things I mentioned work as expected in Vavoom. However, scripts fail to play again.
Steps to replicate:
1. Use cheat "map map02" to warp straight to Seven Portals.
2. Use cheat "noclip" to access the switches high in the middle. Two of the switches should produce a message "A door has opened in Guardian of Ice"
3. Enter one of the middle doors (preferably the earlier one, opened by a switch on a column in front of it), stop before the red portal, save the game.
4. Enter the portal. You should see one or two doors to your left and right open after several seconds.
5. Die. There's a conveniently placed abyss if you're in god mode.
6. Press space to respawn at the start of the level. Almost everything is restored - weapons, items, mana, health, armour. But scripts fail to execute and doors remain closed forever.
Ok, no big deal you might say because the doors lead to a secret level and you probably don't deserve to enter it if you die... right ? However:
1) Other scripts also seem to be affected. All scripts that launch several seconds after entering the level will fail to execute. Some of them are required to complete Seven Portals hub. Notable examples are puzzle switches in Guardian of Steel and Guardian of Fire which produce "Stairs have risen in Seven Portals" message.
2) I have a habit of saving rarely, not killing every single enemy perfectly and living with mistakes I make. If a script fails to execute, I have no savegames to fail back to.
3) It's really annoying when doing balance changes and quick playtesting sessions.